Thursday, April 8, 2010

A skirt for mommy!

I found this fabric that I fell in love with and found a remnant of it for $2!  I decided to finally make something for myself since, as you can see everything I make is for my daughter.  I was inspired by my favorite blogger Disney at Ruffles & Stuff and combined a couple skirts she just made into my new creation.  Here is a quick tutorial of how I made this quick and easy skirt.



 Here is the fabric I found, totally cute and funky :)





First thing I did was measure my hips and calculated 1.5x the width.  With my fabric I created 2 panels that equaled that waist measurement.  Next I found an old T-shirt that didn't quite fit any longer and cut 6" off the bottom.  This is going to be the waist band.  Since this shirt was a bit snug on my tummy, I just used it as is, but if yours is loose, pin and sew it so it is tight.

Next I sewed the right sides together of the skirt panels up the sides.  Then folded the bottom twice to create the hem.

 


Next sew a gathering stitch at the waist.  Since my skirt had 2 panels, I sewed a gathering stitch on each side.


(Of course I didn't take a pic of the difficult part!)  Next turn the skirt to right side and pull gather to match the width of the waist band.  Slip the band over the top of the skirt with the raw edge meeting the raw edge of the skirt.  Pin into place and sew. 

Then all done!  You can wear it with the band up high or fold it over for a smaller waist band. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh! You were so fast! Wonderful job! I love that fabric, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is awesome! That is totally wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I found the pics on Disney's site. I'm thinking of making a few mixes of skirts and dresses from her tutorials like you! I LOVE the fabric as well. It looks very similar to something Down East would sell! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Disney's and just LOVE your idea of using an old t-shirt. Is it ok if I use a picture from this post and leave a link to your blog on mine?

    ReplyDelete